Developing good oral care routines is just as important as any procedure at the dentist's office. Proper hygiene is a preventative care measure that wards off diseases, just ask Drs. Sharon Gilbert, Eric Gott, and Kyle DeLuca of Downtown Dental Care in Palm Beach Gardens, FL.
Proper Oral Hygiene Regimen
- Brush before breakfast and rinse after. Brushing with a fluoride-containing toothpaste protects teeth before you eat, and rinsing removes food debris.
- Use fluoride-containing toothpaste and mouthwash. Fluoride is a mineral already present in teeth so using fluoride protects against cavities and reverses the effects of cavities as well.
- Don't rinse fluoride-containing mouthwash, just spit it out. The fluoride will protect teeth throughout the day.
- Clean between teeth and under gum edges using dental floss. This removes hidden food particles to avoid plaque buildup.
- Visit your Palm Beach Gardens for professional cleanings. He/she will remove plaque and tartar buildup to protect teeth and soft tissue from damage.
- Visit your dentist on a regular basis to continue your preventative care routine. This enables your dentist to find cavities and oral diseases during the early stages when they're still treatable.
- Avoid sugary food and beverages that only help bacteria proliferate.
- Use mouthguards when you're playing sports, and if you have a tooth grinding or clenching problem.
- Quit smoking and chewing tobacco.
Diseases Preventative Care Protects You From
- Gum disease, periodontal disease, is when bacteria produce acid that breaks down enamel, protective layer of teeth, which then spreads to gum tissue, causing inflammation.
- Oral cancer, when caught from the start is easier to treat so make sure you visit your dentist for those routine checkups.
- Deep cavities may result in gum disease and/or tooth loss, among other issues.
Need more information?
Maintaining a healthy oral regimen will protect your teeth. As mentioned above, preventative care is crucial to your oral health. For more information about what you can do to take proper care of your teeth, contact Drs. Sharon Gilbert, Eric Gott, and Kyle DeLuca of Downtown Dental Care in Palm Beach Gardens, FL, by calling (561) 609-0648 today!